NORTHEAST MISSOURI REGIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION/RURAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT
JOB DESCRIPTION– Community Development Planner/Project Assistant
DATE- September 2018
Scope and Nature of Work
Under the policy direction of the Northeast Missouri Regional Planning Commission and Rural Development Commission (NEMO RPC/RDC) Executive Board, the Project Assistant is responsible for primarily assisting in programs with the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economic Development Administration (EDA), Missouri State Emergency Management Agency(SEMA), and the Missouri Department of Economic Development, Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) administrative and technical activities for the Northeast Missouri Regional Planning Commission/Rural Development Corporation and Economic Development District (EDD).
Responsibilities performed on a daily/weekly basis include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates and organizes EDA, SEMA and CDBG programs administered by the regional planning commission;
- Acts as a contact with national, state and local government officials and agencies, other planning commissions, related organizations and with the private sector;
- Maintains close contact with all local elected officials in the region;
- Promotes regional planning commission activities through public speaking functions, contact with news media, professional organizations and other public interest groups;
- Formulates EDA, SEMA and CDBG program development, budget policies and priorities to the Executive Director;
- Implements and revises countywide Hazard Mitigation Plans for each of the member counties.
- Works with the fiscal officer and Executive Director in preparation of an annual budget;
- Oversight and direction of activities involved in procuring EDA, SEMA and CDBG funds necessary for effective and ongoing operation of the regional planning commission;
- Monitors and recommends amendments when required and/or needed to the budget throughout the fiscal year.
- As available time prevails, assumes other duties, responsibilities and work as assigned by the Executive Director.
Graduation from an accredited high school, trade school, college or university is required. Experience in business, economics, planning or related fields are desired. Education will be considered but experience and ability will have priority. The applicant must have the initiative, tenacity and commitment to understand and persevere in the pursuit of activities that will enhance the ability of local governments to provide services in the most cost effective and efficient manner possible. They must have personality traits conducive to working with superiors, peers, subordinates and members of the public from all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
The employee will be hired on the basis of experience, character, reputation and devotion to duty. The person selected to fill this position shall be a legal citizen, loyal to the United States and shall not be a member of a subversive group. They will cooperate and operate in accordance with the objectives of the Commission/Corporation. They shall keep up their personal appearance and not have committed a felony or a serious moral crime in the last five years. A motor vehicle, valid driver’s license, automotive insurance and background check is required.
The Community Development Planner/Project Assistant will be based in the NEMO RPC/RDC main office located at 121 South Cecil Street, Memphis, MO. They must be able to communicate effectively in writing, electronically, by telephone and in person. They must be able to drive and/or ride long distances to meetings and events in the region and throughout the state. Night time driving maybe necessary at times.
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation for the Community Development Planner/Project Assistant will be established and confirmed by the NEMO RPC/RDC Executive Board. Current benefits include Medical, Dental/Eye Health, Employee Disability, Life and AD&D Insurance. Vacation leave rate 15 days per year initially and Sick leave 12 days per year will be established by the Northeast Missouri Regional Planning Commission Executive Board after 3-month probation period and Lagers Retirement after 6 months employment. 35-40-hour work week M -F, generally 8:30-12:00/1:00-4:30.
Resumes will be received at the above address in a sealed envelope labeled Community Development Planner/Project Assistant Attn: Derek Weber or emailed to email@example.com until the position is filled. For additional information please contact us at 660-465-7281, ext. 1.